Well, I got my first blog award! Whether you put much stock in these awards or not, I’m proud to claim mine! Thanks to Wendy Reid for offering up the chance to win the Sunshine Award! I recently started following her great writer’s blog, Wendy’s Works. You should stop by and check out some of her work!
Wendy was recently awarded the Sunshine award by submitting a flash fiction story of 100 words or less. Instead of then choosing 10 people to pass the award to, she set the same challenge to her readers. Submit a flash fiction story of 100 words or less, containing the word “sunshine,” and you were eligible to win the award. If less than ten entered then everyone was a winner.
I figured, what the heck, I’ll give it a shot.This was my entry:
Was this how days would linger? She felt almost frozen in time as each new day dragged on, achingly slow. Despite the heat that seared the top of her head, the bitterness growing inside was enough to send another wave of chills through her thinning frame.
She willed herself to take another step into the glaring sunshine, gripping the small basket adorned with purple ribbons. Even if she was fading away there were blooming flowers to gather before the heat scorched their fragile petals. She wondered if she would outlast the roses that clung stubbornly to the vine.
Well, I was one of only a couple to enter, so technically I won the award by default, but hey.. I’ll take it! I am supposed to do three things:
- Thank the person who awarded it (See above)
- Share 5 little known facts about myself (see below)
- Pass the award to 10 other people
- I lived and breathed fastpitch softball from the time I was 7-20 yrs old. I have two state championships from high school and played two years in college on a full-ride athletic scholarship. I miss softball like crazy.
- My first job was at the age of 17 at Finish Line shoe store in the mall. I hated the uniform, but loved the shoes!
- I almost dropped out of college my freshman year for my then boyfriend who lived two hours away. Would have been the worst decision ever, not only because I would have forfeited my scholarship and education, but because said boyfriend ended up cheating on me. He was dating 6 other girls at the same time. Real winner huh?!
- Obnoxious noises, like fingers popping, clicking sounds, etc really drive me crazy..like want to pull my hair out crazy. My husband finds this amusing. I do not.
- I used to want to be a professional singer. My father is a singer, writer, and music producer, as well as a former Elvis impersonator. He sounds just like him, and used to look pretty similar. I decided to go the easier route of pursuing a writing career!
Now to pass the award along. I’m going to go the same route as Wendy and offer the award to ten people who write a flash fiction story of 100 words or less and containing the word “sunshine” in it.
If ten or less respond, then everyone gets an award. YAY!
Ready, set, write…